The Lady Grey Hospital on Carling Avenue [Credit: Royal Ottawa Health Care Group]
Built by IODE Laurentian Chapter, 1910
Tuberculosis was a dreaded disease in 1906. The first project that IODE Laurentian Chapter undertook was to raise funds to build a tuberculosis sanatorium in Ottawa. A weeklong event, called the "Fair for All Nations," was organized in 1907 at the Laurier Street Drill Hall, and $17,000 was raised - an immense amount in those days. It was enough to finance the ambitious project. The Sanatorium, when it opened on February 10, 1910, was called the Lady Grey Hospital; it later became part of the Royal Ottawa Hospital. The old building was demolished in 2008 and IODE Laurentian Chapter participated in fitting out the Youth Wing of the new building.